History

2017 marks the 89th anniversary of the founding of All Saints’ Episcopal Church. In the Spring of 1928 a group of women who had moved to Homewood and were members of other Birmingham Episcopal Churches began meeting together. Bishop William G. McDowell led them in weekly Lenten services. In July, with financial assistance from the Cathedral Church of the Advent and St. Mary’s-on-the Highland, the first Episcopal parish south of Jones Valley in Jefferson County was established in a room above the Edgewood Drug Store at the corner of Oxmoor and Broadway in Homewood.